Monday, November 14, 2016

A birth story - Part 2

Hey there! Ok so let's continue. Please read Part 1 first if you haven't! Thank you so much for reading.



October 11, 2016

I had been feeling great all day long. I continued to have no signs or symptoms of labor for most of the day. At around 1:30 PM, while Greg was getting ready to go to work, I began to feel a slight contraction, like a menstrual cramp. However, I dismissed it. A few minutes later, I felt another one, but assured myself that they were just false contractions.

Greg had to leave to work at that time, and I assured him that the “contractions” were false. However, I reminded him to have his cellphone on him at all times (his work does not allow employees to have a cellphone on themselves, but they had previously allowed him to do this). He left, and I went about my day, still feeling these false, now slightly painful, contractions.

At 3 PM, I felt a really painful one. I thought to myself that maybe, just maybe, I would be having a baby that day.  The more painful contractions continued, but I figured I still had time. We (Dad, Mom, Grandmother and I) decided to head to my sister’s house and then go on a walk around the park. The contractions kept getting worse! This had to be it. However, I didn’t go to the hospital at that time because the contractions weren’t so consistent or lasting for a long time.

After a few hours of being at my sister’s home, we came back to my house. I took a bath to ease the pain, but it didn’t seem to go away. The contractions were getting stronger to the point where I began to cry and were now a minute apart, lasting around 20-30 seconds. My water had not broken at this point. My mom advised me to call the “baby line” nurse and see what the nurse thought I should do.

The nurse told me to go ahead and head to the hospital’s labor and delivery triage for a quick assessment, as she did not want the baby to be in distress because of my minute apart contractions. I called Greg at this time and arranged to meet up at the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital at 11 PM. You should've seen my Dad driving and me trying to give him directions in between contractions - quite hilarious now. The doctor in house told me that I was only 2 cm dilated and 100% effaced! Two centimeters! To be admitted to this particular hospital, I had to be 3 cm. She advised me to go walk around the hospital and come back in an hour. This hour was probably the longest hour of my life! The pain was too much…or so I thought. A little after midnight, I went back into triage and the doctor now told me I was at 3 cm, baby was head down and that my contractions were, in fact, real. Real labor! What?! I was admitted at this time.



October 12, 2016 - Estimated due date!

I did not sleep at all throughout the night. Labor continued. The nurses began an IV on me (after three tries - I was so dehydrated, nervous or something) and began to push IV fluids. I also received IV pain medications at this time, which only masked the pain for a few minutes. Cat naps where also in progress – but no real sleep.

At round 6 AM, after 16 hours of labor, the nurse checked my cervix, and lo and behold, I was still at 3 cm! At this point, I asked for an epidural. The contractions were getting stronger and stronger, but they were ineffective, as my cervix didn’t dilate at. all.

Well, the epidural was heaven – for a few hours. I tried to sleep, but I was very uncomfortable. Also, at this point, every doctor, nurse, student and their mother was in and out of my room every few minutes. My family and Greg were also there for most of the day. FYI when you get an epidural, you are not allowed to eat, stand up, and you get a Foley catheter placed. Yeah, not fun for this pregnant mamma that wanted to eat and move around.

At 11 AM, my contractions were spacing out and were becoming less strong, according to the monitor I was placed on – as it sometimes happens when you get an epidural.  Also, I was still at 3 cm. It had already been 12 hours and I was still the same! My water had not broken yet. My blood pressure began to "tank". I remember seeing the monitor and exclaiming that the blood pressure I was seeing was normal for one of my little patients, but not for me. The doctors and nurses agreed to infuse Pitocin to regulate the contractions and make them stronger. The nurse gave me a rapid fluid bolus (to increase my blood pressures) and then started to slowly infuse Pitocin until I had received the almost maximum dose…

To no avail. Hours later, I was still at the same point. However, I could now feel every. single. contraction, despite the epidural! The baby and I were fine, but labor was not progressing.

Everyone was tired. Greg, my family and I hadn’t slept most of the night or day, and my doctors and nurses were a little frustrated at this point. They said we might have to talk later about the C word if the baby happened to be in distress. No thanks.

At around 6 PM I asked the doctor if she could please, please break my water. She skeptically agreed. I understood why they didn’t want to break it too soon, at 3 cm, (due to infection risk) but it was the only not so invasive option. When she did, we discovered there was meconium in the waters. My baby had pooped inside me! The nurse quickly called the special care nursery to prepare for this, just in case the baby aspirated meconium into his lungs.

8 PM came and the nurse checked my cervix again. I was now at 7 cm! Ah! Everyone began to get more nervous and excited. Thankfully, breaking the waters had worked to progress labor. One hour later, I began to feel the intense need to bear down and push. The nurse did not want me to push until I was at 10 cm, so she checked again. I was at 9 ½ - ish and she could feel his head coming. Not quite 9 cm, but not quite 10 cm. But, I couldn’t hold it anymore. I had to push.

The nurse quickly gathered everything for delivery and called the team in. At 9:30 PM the doctors checked my cervix and gave me the green light to start pushing.

And so, delivery began.


"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart..." Jeremiah 1:5

Part 3, last part, I promise, coming soon!

Love,
Gabby

2 comments:

  1. Wow. This sounds like quite the experience. I really appreciate your perspective on the delivery as a nurse yourself. Looking forward to part 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! It was! ;-) And thank you. I was hoping to have an easier time because I am a nurse, but it was still crazy even though I knew some
      Of the stuff they were doing.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!