Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Pregnancy Update: 20 weeks!

Hello everyone! 

Well, I am officially (as of tomorrow – so not quite officially) halfway through this pregnancy. Yay! I am so happy and very thankful. With each passing day this pregnancy becomes more “real” to me.

I’ve wanted to do this update since forever, but it seemed like 20 weeks was the perfect time.

Well, let me start from the beginning.

The first trimester was…ugh (most days). I am so glad I am over that! You know that thing they call “morning sickness”? Yeah, it’s a lie. It’s an “all day, err day sickness”. The nausea was intense. Thankfully, I only had one bout of emesis - fancy, nurse-y word for vomit. The nausea never went away, though. It was especially there when seeing, cooking or smelling chicken. Anyways, I’ll spare you the gross details. Ginger Ale was my friend.

My pregnancy belly didn’t quite grow a ton the first trimester. However, I did gain a few pounds - surprisingly, because I avoided food constantly. I think it was all bloat, since I've only gained 1 pound from week 10-17. I finally “popped out” around week 18!

I was also very hesitant to “attach” myself to this baby. And by that, I mean emotionally, because we are physically attached. ;-) A lot of prayer, crying and surrender to Jesus took place. It still is, but I am struggling less and loving more.



I slept a lot the first few weeks! I could seriously only stay awake for about 3 hours before I needed a nap. I’ve slowly been gaining my energy back, but I still feel very tired most of the day. I am also starting to feel the effects of “pregnancy brain”. It’s so real – unlike morning sickness. I’ve done so many things that do not make sense. One of those major fails was locking myself out of the house, during a thunderstorm, no cellphone, no car keys, nothing…while my husband was at work. My sister and my neighbor came to the rescue before I started crying.

As far as ultrasounds, we’ve had two. And both were very early because I was considered “high risk”. We first saw the heartbeat at 5-ish weeks! It was so surreal. It was around 94 beats/minute (almost same as mine). The nurse’s comment was, “For all we know, this heart could have started beating today, at your heart’s rate!” Swoon. We then had another ultrasound around 10 weeks. It had jumped up to 186 beats/minute! We also heard it. It was nice and strong, and very, very fast. We could distinguish the baby’s arms moving a lot. At around 16 weeks, our doctor did a small Doppler check (no ultrasound) to see how our baby was doing. The heart rate had decreased (normal) to 156 beats/minute. I think I’ve felt the baby move, but I don’t know if it’s actual movement or what. It feels kind of like nervousness in my stomach – if that makes any sense.

Our next ultrasound is at 22 weeks (2 more weeks!) and we will hopefully be finding out the sex of the baby. We are so excited! I feel it’s a boy (sometimes I feel it’s a girl), but I’ve been dreaming with baby girls most nights. People I’ve talked to think it’s a girl – even a stranger told me this – and only two people have told me it’s a boy. I think we are set on the names, but I’ll announce it when we know for sure.

As for baby “stuff”, we have accumulated so much. My sister-in-law and her husband gave us a lot of their items – even a frame for a crib and a bassinet! I am so grateful for this. The Lord has certainly provided for us through them, and I can’t wait to bless another expecting Mom and Dad as they have blessed  us.  In their items were also three boxes full of baby clothes (mostly gender neutral) for newborns and months 1-6. There was also a box full of maternity clothes – which I am starting to fit in! We haven’t bought anything new for the baby yet, but I am sure we will in these next few weeks. The checklist is still long!


Anyways, that is all for now. I am sure I am forgetting stuff, but let us blame it on the pregnancy brain. Please continue to pray for us as we approach the 22 week scan/anatomy scan. Thank you!

In Christ, 
Gabby 

14 comments:

  1. You don't know how excited I am for you two! All the very best for this Gabby and Greg! (Also I love getting your little likes and updates on instagram thank you dear they make my day :-D)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evie! Haha, I am always on Instagram! I love it!

      Delete
  2. You look great! Sorry to hear of the morning sickness and "pregnancy brain." It must be getting exciting! Will be looking forward to the gender-reveal (assuming you'll share the news with us!), and sending prayers your way! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany! Yes, it's super exciting! :-D and yes, I was planning on sharing soon. Ahhh, can't wait.

      Delete
    2. Hope all is going well! Looking forward to your next update!

      Delete
  3. Dear Gabby, I am in week 24 and I can soooo relate to the 'morning sickness'.
    Here are a few Bible verses, I say daily for baby and me:
    Isaiah 66:9 (this one is specially for you)
    Jeremiah 1:5
    Isaiah 43: 4 (Isaiah dude loved babies it seems ;-)
    Isaiah 43: 18 and 19
    And of course,
    The Magnificat of Our Lady
    Love,
    Ruth
    +JMJ+

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing truth, Ruth! I hadn't read the Isaiah 66:9 before. So true! I am planning on writing verses for L&D so these are very helpful!

      Delete
  4. You look beautiful, dear! The pregnancy journey is definitely challenging when it comes to morning sickness, but when you hold that sweet baby in your arms for the first time you forget all about it. :-) I'm so happy for you and will continually be keeping you in my prayers. <3
    God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cryslyn! Congrats on your baby! :-D I am sure I'll forget all about it once he/she comes, lol. It will all be worth it.

      Delete
  5. Gaby, I am so happy for you both!!! I am so sorry to hear about morning sickness, I know what it means, I remember my first months of pregnancy... Please, take special care of your self and try to enjoy as much as you can this period. God bless you my darling, Liuba x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, girl! Thankfully this morning sickness is becoming more and more rare as the days go by! Woohoo!

      Delete
  6. Gabby, congratulations! :-) I am so excited for you. Prayers and blessings to you, your husband and your little one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen! I am so excited to "see" you around here! Thank you so much! I hope all is well with you. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hey Gabby! It's been a crazy year at college and then I came home and started internships right away. I've missed being able to stay up to-date with my blogs I follow and commenting. I hope all is well with you and for your pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!