Monday, September 14, 2015

I just can't keep Him to myself.

I clearly remember the first day of fifth grade Sunday school (held on Saturdays in my hometown). I was the only student in the fifth grade class. Where were the other students? Well, back in the day, Catholic children received their Confirmation in the third grade and their first Holy Communion in the fourth grade. After those grades, most students didn’t come back. Their initial faith formation was “over”.

That particular day, it was decided that I would assist the third grade teacher for the remainder of the year. That particular day, a tiny seed was planted in my heart.

From that day forward, I just couldn’t keep the Lord to myself.

Long story short, Jesus has recently nudged me about this over and over again. While these past few years have been of immense spiritual growth (for me), He has continued to push me, to press forward.

He wants me to share Him.

Jesus doesn’t just want me to share Him on my blog, or with the people I feel most comfortable with talking about Him, but with the most vulnerable of them, with the ones who don’t know Him that well, yet – children.  

Greg (my husband) and I were recently at church when a lady went up to the microphone during announcements. She started talking about intentional discipleship, about spreading the Gospel, and about how desperate she was for volunteer teachers for the Faith Formation program. I couldn’t help but smile and roll my eyes at Jesus (#truestory #sorryJesus). We had barely made it to church that morning, but He had already planned it all out. He knew I had to be there.

Well, by now you might have guessed it. As of this Wednesday (and every Wednesday after that), I am going to be in charge of twelve third graders in the Faith Formation program. And you know? I am so scared. Freaking out, to be exact. I mean, come on, God. I’ve never been a real teacher before. Am I really equipped for this? Scared as I am, I know that God is telling me to go, for He is with me, and that gives me peace.

Could you please pray for these twelve, little disciples-in-training and I? It is my greatest desire to make Jesus known to these children. Please pray that their little hearts and minds might be open to Him and His love. Please pray that a small seed is planted, so that when they grow older, they might bear witness to others of His love. Also pray for their families, for true faith formation starts in their homes. And lastly, could you please pray for me? Please pray that my own relationship with the Lord grows even more. That I might abide even more in Him and be led by Him in the classroom.

Thank you for reading through and for your prayers. Please let me know how I can pray for you!

Happy week!

For His glory,

Gabby

3 comments:

  1. That is going to be an amazing experience!! You will be such a light to these kiddos!

    Carley @ preppylane.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for saying that, Carley! I think it will be an amazing experience! Those third graders are rowdy. :-D

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity! It is so important to share the love and word of God with others.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!