Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Catech-isms: Volume 1.

Hello everyone! As I told you in my last post, I started teaching 3rd grade faith formation (or the "catechism") at the church Greg and I attend. And let me tell you…it has been so fun and so interesting. I love it! Children are so honest and definitely ask/say whatever is in their minds. Let me share some bits of it.

(For privacy reasons, I will refer them as “A”, “B”, “C”, and so forth)

Lesson 1: Who is God? 

I had a poster board that said “God is…” in big letters. I asked each student to come forward and write whatever they thought God was. Some students wrote “loving”, “kind”, “fun”, “powerful”, etc.

One student decided to write “Our King”.

A: “If you say God made us in His image…does that mean I am a king, too?!?”

How do I even begin to explain this…

----------

A to B: “Why would you write that God is “God”? That is so silly!”
B: “Because He is!”

#thegreatIAM

----------

Lesson two: Creation. 

I bet you can imagine how this one went.

A: “When you say that God created the sky…do you mean the atmosphere?”
B: “So…how did God know where to place the sun so we wouldn’t melt?”
C: "In what day did God create dinosaurs?"

NO idea, Einsteins. 

----------

Me: "God made us stewards of His creation…Do you know what the word “steward” means?"
A: “ME! ME! ME! I know…Stuart is a guy!”

GOD HELP ME.

----------

Me: Reading Genesis 1. “Does anyone know how God made the woman?”
A: “From Adam’s ribs!”
B: “That’s kind of disgusting.”

----------

Me: Reading about the fall, the garden of Eden, heaven, hell and free will.
A: “When God lets us into the garden again…will He make us have no clothes on like Adam and Eve?!? Eww.” Insert disgusted face expression.

----------

Me: Saying the word “hell” (as in the place/state where we are eternally separated from God).
A: “Mrs. Gabby, you just said a swear word!”
Me: “No. Hell is not a swear word. I guess it depends how you use it.”
B: “She’s right! My mom put that word on Facebook.”

Okidokes.

----------


Well, there you have it. I am sure there will be more “Catech-isms” to come. Enjoy! :-)

Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. " Matthew 19:14

Love,
Gabby

2 comments:

  1. Some of these are so funny, Gabby! Loved this post; thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, right?!? Hope you enjoyed it! :-D

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!