Monday, April 6, 2015

That Good Friday Jesus made me a better nurse.

(Not my picture - broken link)
As many of you know, I work as a pediatric nurse. On Good Friday, I started my shift a little bit on the annoyed side. I didn't really have a reason, it was just one of those days.

My shift started out very, very busy. I just wanted to go home and have an actual good Friday.

Lunch time then came around for the patients. I was somewhat relieved, as I had a lot of charting to do. It was already three hours after I started my shift and I had done minimal charting!

I went around the rooms to do one last round before I sat to chart, to see if anyone needed anything else (hoping they wouldn't).

"Hey! Lunch just got here! Let's try and get something into that stomach so you won't feel so nauseous. How about that?", I told my little one. This little one, though, needed a little extra help to be fed. I looked at Mom and Dad, hoping they would agree with me and try to feed their child.

As I was about to place the lunch tray at the side of the bed, so they could feed their child, my little one quietly whispered, "I am thirsty."

I looked up at the parents and Dad answered, "Ok, just wait a minute and we will get you something.". Turning to me, he added, "We are going to let you feed, as we are about to head out."

Seriously? I am super busy, exhausted, I need to do some paper work, chart, and eat my lunch. WHY, LORD? This would only happen to me!

"I thirst." He answered.

Those two little words came to my mind. I remembered it was Good Friday. I remembered Jesus on the cross, crying out loud the exact words my little one had just told me.

There was I, praying to God before work to make me a better nurse. To give me wisdom. To allow me to be His hands and feet, to accompany me throughout my day. Yet, here I was. Quietly complaining about my job. About having too much charting. About too many call lights going off. About everyone wanting everything from me. About having parents who want me to feed their child when I didn't have the time. All while professing to be a Christian.

Without knowing it, I was complaining of His answer to my prayers. He wanted me to see and serve Him by taking care of this little one, who couldn't do anything for himself*, just like He was when He hung on the cross. I was just like that soldier, who gave a drink of vinegar to my Savior. I was serving with bitterness in my heart.

I could feel my blood rushing to my face as my eyes began to flood with tears. I told Mom and Dad I would feed their child, but to just give me a minute and I would be back. I ran out of the room and into the medication room. I wanted to fall on my knees in repentance for being annoyed with the work He called me to do.

Needless to say, this Good Friday, Jesus taught me true compassion for Him, His people, and especially His little ones. He taught me how to be a good servant and the servant of all. He showed me how He wanted me to be a better Christian and a better nurse.

----------

I rarely (if ever) share stories about my job, for obvious reasons. However, I do want to share this one with you for encouragement. I think that we all want to be like Jesus. We want to serve like He did. We want to be His hands, His feet and His voice. But, do we ever really see Him in others? Do we ever see Him in that crying child who doesn't stop all night? Do we see Him in the homeless? Do we see Him in that family member who needs extra help physically, spiritually, financially? Are we serving not just because we are Christians, but because it might just be Him?

Think about it. If that child or adult was really Jesus, how would you serve Him? What would you do for Him?

Happy Easter!

Love,
Gabby

*Used "himself" for general purposes.

Just a side note: Names of patients/healthcare workers, specific ages, specific gender, specific location, specific dates and/or specific details will not be included/will be changed on my nursing blog posts to protect patient/healthcare worker privacy. :-)


7 comments:

  1. WOW Gabby, this is beautiful! Have you ever read the "I Thirst" meditation from Mother Teresa...this post reminded me of it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty! :-D I actually haven't heard of "I Thirst". I will definitely look into it!

      Delete
  2. This is a beautiful post, Gabby. Thank you for sharing it - and for reminding us to see Jesus and serve others. I hope you and your husband had a wonderful Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colleen!!! I am so glad to hear from you! :-P Thank you for commenting. We had a great Easter, I hope you and your husband did, too.

      Delete
  3. This was such a beautiful post. thank you for sharing. Its always so cool when God teaches us something in the most random ways like that. although its convicting. lol.
    I pray that God would continue to help you be a better nurse each day. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Faith! So random, right? I am constantly trying to discern what God teaches me through daily life. God bless you, as well! :-)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and wonderful message, Gabriela! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!