Friday, March 20, 2015

Space and astronaut living: A visit to the science museum.

When I was young, I wanted to become an astronaut. I had the books, the telescope and I even promised my Dad that if I went to the Moon, I would "write" our last name on it so it could never be erased. Going to NASA was my childhood dream (one day...). The idea of living in the ISS (International Space Station) blew my mind. #Spacegeek , I know.

I also wanted to become a nun, a doctor or a nurse, but we all know what career won. Ok, going off topic now.

When the space exhibit came to our local science museum, I had.to.go.

Well, I took my niece (and my camera) with me and had a really fun day! Here come the pictures...

Astronaut C and Astronaut Auntie Gabby reporting from Mars.




Part of a suit.


Space helmet.


Neil Armstrong's gloves.



"Floating" like the astronauts.


Inside the ISS. ;-) As you stood between the rails, the walls rotated around you, making you feel you were "floating" (no gravity). My niece and I did not fully expect the feeling! She was scared when the walls started moving. ;-) 




"Is this how astronauts go potty?" Yeap.


They also had the small (very small) version of the ISS, where children could pretend play.




I think I could be an astronaut nurse and work here!




One of my favorite parts of the exhibit was learning about the food.
Here, she is asking if she can take one for lunch at school. :-)





We also made a rocket and launched it!



There was also an area where children could "imagine" living in outer space and how it could be. It definitely had me thinking, too. 




My favorite was MARSnet Radio. See how they had power and oxygen delivered (not wearing space suits)? My second favorite was definitely MetroMars (bus service).


And this, is what happens when air pressure drops (or there is no pressure, as in outer space).


Our visit was so fun...I may even go again with Greg! I hope you enjoyed seeing it. ;-) 

And now, some questions that were actually asked in the exhibit...

Would you volunteer to go on the Mars One mission? What do you think about starting a [human] colony in Mars?

Have a happy weekend!

Love,
Gabby


3 comments:

  1. Aw, this was adorable! Thank you so much for sharing these darling pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Abbey! :-) My niece IS adorable...and a little sassy, too. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Looks like such a fun place to visit! I enjoyed the photos. I'd consider going to Mars if I could be guaranteed a return to earth (wouldn't that make an exciting blog post?!); otherwise, I'm content to continue as an earthling.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!