Wednesday, March 25, 2015

She said YES!

It was probably an ordinary day for her. Cleaning, possibly cooking some food, and preparing for the day ahead. The usual. Or very possibly making plans for a wedding feast.

Then, an angel of God appeared to her and told her she would be with child, a son, and His name would be Jesus. He would be called the Son of the Most High and His kingdom would have no end.

Wait, what?! Repeat! How can this be? I have not given any man my body’s purity!

I can just imagine the surprised expression on her face.

What is most fascinating about this story is that as the angel explained to her how the Holy Spirit would work in her womb, she didn't even think about it twice and she said yes.

And Mary said, Behold the handmaid of the Lord; be it unto me according to thy word. And the angel departed from her. Luke 1: 38

You see, Mary didn't question her Lord. She didn't question the power of the Holy Spirit. She didn't tell the angel to please appear to her family, friends and acquaintances, because it would be embarrassing, for her as unmarried lady, to tell everyone she was pregnant. How would she tell Joseph? I mean, come on, she was a very young girl, unmarried, and pregnant…this meant she could be stoned to death by the community. She also didn't question as to how, when and where her child would save the world.

She was free to choose. She said yes and watched her Lord’s salvation plan unfold.

Today, Catholics (and possibly other Christian denominations) observe the Annunciation, when Gabriel appeared to Mary and told her the Savior was coming. Why today? Well, today marks nine full months until Christmas (Note: This doesn't mean that it happened exactly today, or that Jesus was born exactly on December 25th)! Whatever the denomination, every Christian reading this Biblical story should learn something from her yes, her fiat (“Let there be…”, “…be it unto me”, “Let it be…”).

Are you saying yes to God, even when He doesn't tell you His plan? Are you wholly surrendered to your Savior? Do you trust the power of the Holy Spirit in that nothing is really impossible to/with God? Do you even realize the reality of the decision to say yes to Him?

Maybe you want to be baptized into the Christian faith, but you don't know how your family/friends would take it. Maybe He is calling you to religious life. Maybe He is calling you into marriage. Maybe it’s motherhood. Maybe He is calling you to spread the Good News in a remote village, or with your neighbor. Maybe He is asking of you to sit and wait.

Whatever it is, are you saying yes to Him?
Love,

Gabby

8 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful post, Gabriela, and so thought-provoking! Reminds me of the song "I Surrender All." Trusting God can be hard sometimes, but it's worth it. He is faithful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! He is so, so faithful. He is so good, even when He doesn't fulfill OUR plans.

      And thank you, I wrote it in the spur of the moment, as I was thinking about what was like for Mary that day. A lot to think about (even for me), for sure.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Gabby for reminding me of the importance of freely giving my fiat. :) It's never easy, but in the end it will bring so much peace and happiness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Grace! It isnt easy at all!

      Delete
  3. I am new to your blog, but it is wonderful! This was a great post in remembering that it is all for Him and not for us, therefore we should surrender our goals and dreams to Him as He will do with it what we need in order for our actions to give glory to Him. Thank you. I really really needed this today!

    Lauren
    www.homemadefaith.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Lauren! I appreciate your words. It is exactly what I was thinking. He is everything and everything is for Him only!

      Delete
  4. Gabriela, What a powerful post! I loved it so much, I love the way you thought of her. You post reminds me of this song: "Mary did you know" I adore this song and love to listen it not only before Easter. God bless you darling and thank you for this beautiful post. Much love, Liuba x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you girl! You are so sweet! I love that song, too. God bless you as well. Much love!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!