Tuesday, October 14, 2014

My vocation is...Love?

Stairs leading to a small beach in Mazatlan, Mexico.
This past weekend, I finished reading the autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux, Story of a Soul

In it, she talks about her family life, her many faults, Catholic feasts, sickness, Catholic sacraments, her experience as a religious sister, sainthood, and the subject that fascinated me the most: her vocation of love for Jesus and others.

There is a story she writes about a religious sister in her order that had "the faculty of displeasing me in everything, in her ways, her words, her character, everything seems very disagreeable to me." (pg.222)

I didn't think this would hit so close to home. I mean, I don't really hate anyone. If someone displeases me, I tend to be prudent with my words, ignore and move along.

And still Jesus called them His friends, His brothers..., for He said: "Greater love than this not man has than that he lay down his life for his friends."

Dear Mother, when meditating upon these words of Jesus, I understood how imperfect was my love for my Sisters. I saw I didn't love them as God loves them. Ah! I understood now that charity consists in bearing with the faults of others, in not being surprised at their weakness, in being edified by the smallest of acts of virtue we see them practice. (pg. 220)

Wow. How many times have I not done this? How many times have I just ignored and moved along, instead of bearing with their faults, instead of thinking positive things about them...like the good they have done to others, to Jesus, etc... instead of that displeasing act against me? 

When I wish to increase this love in me, and when especially the devil tries to place before the eyes of my soul the faults of such and such a Sister who is less attractive to me, I hasten to search out her virtues, her good intentions; I tell myself that even if I did see her fall once, she could easily have won a great number of victories which she is hiding through humility, and that even what appears to me as a fault can very easily be an act of virtue because of her good intention. (pg. 221)

Jesus, help me love others by You loving in and through me. Help me practice true charity. Create a pure heart and mind in me, instead of a heart and mind who choose the right words and actions, but are really judgmental, full of grudges, and of filthy language. Lord, let others see Your love in me. Sanctify me.

Thank you for reading. What I am doing on my personal road to sainthood (sanctification) and how I am practicing true love (with my husband, my family, friends and strangers) have been on my mind these past few months. I hope you were encouraged as much as I was. 

Love,
Gabby

6 comments:

  1. Gabby, your this post made me better and motivated me to start loving each person of this world and not to concentrate on done mistakes. Stay blessed my sister!!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting, Liuba! You are always very kind! I hope one day to meet you. :-)

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post! I like how you call your journey your "personal road to sainthood." Many overlook the fact that *we*--not just the apostles and church leaders of old times--are called to be a holy people (saints) for God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EXACTLY! I didn't understand that concept when it was first introduced to me...I was like, a SAINT? Me? How?

      When I read the Bible, autobiographies, etc, I tend to think that I can't possibly measure up in righteousness to what THEY have done for God. However, it is true, thanks to His sacrifice on the cross, we are ALL called to be holy people for God!

      I am glad you think alike. :-D

      Delete
  3. I was definitely encouraged. And very humbled. I need to work on this more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Clare! I am glad! :-D

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!