Saturday, August 2, 2014

Hey sister (To my sister on her wedding day).

Hey sister,

Woah! Can you believe this day is here? Remember dreaming about this day when we were little girls? Wondering about who we would marry [at the time we wished we would marry the main guy from the latest novela (soap opera) or some Backstreet or 'N Sync boy], talking about dresses and bridesmaids (we swore to be each other's Maid of Honor), and wondering when we would marry. We came to the final agreements that somebody like Daddy would make a perfect husband and that twenty-five was the perfect age to get married. "It's years away!", we would say.


Well, those "years away" are here. I want to tell you a few things (I am trying not to cry as I type this).

I want to tell you that I am so grateful to have had you as my constant companion all these years. Experiencing the first few years of my life with you was a God-given blessing and the greatest adventure. We went to school together since Kindergarten until College! And as if we didn't have enough of each other, we worked together as nurses for a year and a half. Not many sisters can say that! I am so grateful our parents gave us the opportunity to experience and learn about the world together, as we traveled alone all over the United States, Canada, Mexico and Europe (our parents must be crazy!). I am also thankful that our parents made us share a room and a bed. I don't think we would have been as close, if it wasn't for those late night talks, as we listened to each other's hearts. My heart overflows with gratitude as I think about those years.


As of today, you will have a new, lifetime companion (I feel as if I am passing on the baton). Remember that today, it is not about the dress, the venue, the shoes, the food or anything else. Today is about God making you [two] one with Him through the Sacrament of Marriage. It's about the sacrifice you are both going to make, as you willingly give yourselves up for the other in this marriage. It's about family. Make sure to pause and look around. The people that came to share this day with you, are here for you because we love you. Soak up that love! It's real love, I am telling you. Nothing else really matters. As of today, you two will be in charge of protecting each other for life. You will experience the greatest adventure of your life by his side. As you walk down the aisle, I'll thank the Father for the work of preparing this man's heart just.for.you. I pray that, aside from God, you make him your number one. I pray that in good and bad times, you two reflect to each other the love our Savior has for us. I can't wait to see how the Lord blesses you!


Diana, I pray that as you build your family, you don't forget where you come from. Don't forget your roots. I can hardly wait for the day when we sit in our living rooms, telling our children our childhood stories, telling them about our grandparents, our parents, our brothers and all the ones who came before them. Carry your family, in your heart, wherever God leads you and your husband.

Finally, I pray that you become the woman, wife and future mother God made you to be. Look up to Him and make Him your greatest Lover, Diana. Allow Him to be the center of your marriage. When you feel that marriage life is difficult, ask for His help and His guidance. When you feel that marriage life is a bliss, thank Him for those undeserved blessings.


I could write on and on, but I'll stop, or I'll ruin our wedding make-up.

I love you so much. I hope you feel the love our Savior has for you today on your wedding day.

And thank God we didn't end up marrying one of those novela, Backstreet or 'N Sync boys.

Love,
Ale

PS. Did you notice we both ended up getting married at 24 years old? I guess we were both wrong about the perfect age! ;-)

15 comments:

  1. That is so beautiful! ♥ It reminds me of my sister and I...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Grace! Sisters share a bond like no other!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful letter to your sister; congratulations to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany! I had a difficult time (emotional wise) writing it! Haha.

      Delete
  3. So precious!! I love this and definitely cried along with you! I wish her all the luck in the world! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kalin! Your comment blessed me. It's so beautiful to know others can feel (through blogging) a glimpse of what you feel. :-)

      Delete
  4. *Sniffle* That was so so kind! I actually teared up, I don't have a sister so that must be special! :)
    ~Evie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Evie! It is super special. And thank YOU for being so kind to me with your comment.

      Delete
    2. :) Your so lucky, I pray that one day I might have a sister through marriage, it would be lovely!
      email me soon? I feel like a chat :)

      Delete
  5. What a beautiful note to your sister! The both of you are so blessed to have each other in your lives. :-) Hope it was a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Colleen! It was a grand day! Will post pictures soon!

      Delete
  6. I have read this letter and loved it so much. Your sister might be super proud of you dear Gabriela. I miss my older sister a lot!!!
    Congratulations to your ovely sister Diana.

    PS: LOVE THE PICTURES - YOU BOTH ARE MARVELLOUS :) XXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Liuba! You are so kind!

      Delete
    2. This is so beautiful! God bless both of you girls!

      Delete
  7. I wanted to leave a comment here last month, but life got busy and I never got around to it. I enjoyed reading this post! Ana and I shared a bedroom all the way up until she got married in June and I have fond memories of late night talks with her and so many other wonderful memories through the years spending a lot of time together. Sisters are a special gift from God!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!