Tuesday, June 10, 2014

When tragedy strikes.


I have been trying to organize my thoughts. We were woken up by a 5 AM frantic call from my sister telling us the news.

What? How? When? WHY? Why? Why? WHY, GOD? Why do these things happen? Weren't you there? Why didn't you, all-powerful God, stop tragedy from happening?

You know, I've been thinking about it all day. That question we always ask when tragedy strikes. WHY DO BAD THINGS HAPPEN TO GODLY, GOOD PEOPLE? My mind and my heart fill with rage. Hurt.

Then…Jesus.

I am reminded that we, humans, were granted free will. Tragic, beautiful free will. We choose. We choose to do good. We choose to do evil. God did not choose evil for us. He did not cause tragedy to happen.

[I think] He wants us to see this as an opportunity to trust Him more. To pray more. To forgive. It’s like wake up call to see that we are in need of Him (just when we thought we didn't need God anymore). Jesus invites us to join Him in His suffering for a fallen church. For those that do not choose to believe in Him and what He already did on the Cross. For those who choose to do evil.

How I long for Heaven when bad things happen! Maybe that is the beauty of tragedy. Doesn't it make you want Heaven more? A place of no more suffering and no more pain. A place where His goodness reigns.
   
Lord, even though it is difficult to see this tragedy in Your light, I thank You. I thank You for what You did for us on the Cross. I thank you because, all along, you were there. You are here. You suffered with and for your children when it happened.  I thank you for LIFE and for death not taking a part of this. For goodness! And for the hope that one day, evil will be banished, and we will be Home, a place where Your love, grace and goodness reigns. Thank you for holding him, my sister, family and friends in Your arms.


How beautiful it is. 

For His glory,
Gabby

(Thank you for reading. Thank you for allowing me to share happy and sad moments with you. I thank Jesus for you, my sisters, a community of believers.)

6 comments:

  1. I will be praying for you and your family through whatever tragedy you may be facing. God is in control. its so encouraging to read these thoughts you have. you have a great attitude in trials and thats inspiring. continue to lean on the Lord and He will guide you and direct you. He will be your strength.

    Psalm 46 is my favorite psalm. its all about how incredible God is and how He is in control. verse 10 says "be still and know that I am God." be still. Hes got this. you may have been surprised by this news, but He wasnt. I hope that can be of some small comfort to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, He is in control. It's so comforting to know that! And thank you for the Psalm. I read it after I read your comment. Thank you, again!

      Delete
  2. Prayers for your sister!! as hard as it is to suffer and watch the ones we love suffer, knowing that even Jesus wasn't immune to it is somehow a comfort too...that He of all people, "gets" it...hope everything is okay:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Patty! I know, it's so difficult to see loved ones suffer. And it's so true! Jesus totally gets it!

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about the tragedy, whatever it is. Will be praying for you and your family.
    Yours is an excellent explanation to the question that has haunted good people since the time of Job, "Why do bad things happen to good people?"
    God will see His children through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers, Bethany! My sister and her fiance are in need of them. Thank you, again. :-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!