Monday, June 23, 2014

Lisieux: I choose all!


Anne, my mother in law's friend, grew up in Lisieux, France. Two months ago, she told me about an upcoming trip to Lisieux to visit her sister. I told her about Saint Therese of Lisieux, who had served in that area. Anne isn't Catholic, but she knew about Therese. A few days ago, my mother in law gave me this little pendant that Anne had brought to me from Lisieux!

"...I understood how all the flowers He has created are beautiful, how the splendor of the rose and the whiteness of the Lily do not take away the perfume of the little violet or the delightful simplicity of the daisy. I understood that if all flowers wanted to be roses, nature would lose her springtime beauty, and the fields would no longer be decked out with little wild flowers.

And so it is in the world of souls, Jesus' garden. He willed to create great souls comparable to Lilies and roses, but He has created smaller ones and these must be content to be daisies or violets destined to give joy to God's glances when He looks down at His feet. Perfection consists in doing His will, in being what He wills us to be."

...

"...I understood that to become a saint one had to suffer much, seek out always the most perfect thing to do, and forget self. I understood, too, there were many degrees of perfection and each soul was free to respond to the advances of Our Lord, to do little or much for Him, in a word, to choose among the sacrifices He was asking. Then, as in the days of my childhood, I cried out: "My God 'I choose all!' I don't want to be a saint by halves, I'm not afraid to suffer for You, I fear only one thing: to keep my own will; so take it, for 'I choose all' that You will!""

St. Therese of Lisieux, Story of a Soul

May your week be full of absolute trust and surrender to God and His will for you!

Love,
Gabby

4 comments:

  1. What an neat thing that this lady brought you back a St Therese medal and she wasn't even Catholic...I love the Little FLower because her way to becoming holy/a saint is with little acts of love...what a good reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely pendant!!! Thanks for all your thoughts shared with us. Your post encouraging me! Stay blessed x

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely pendant!!! Thanks for all your thoughts shared with us :)
    Stay blessed and happy xxx

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!