Tuesday, June 24, 2014

A second first date.

     I hurried as I got home from the gym. I quickly took off my sweaty clothes and jumped in the shower. I needed to get ready in less than half an hour. You see, I had a date tonight. A second first date.

     I call it a second first date because I used to date Him a few years ago. Every Wednesday, for one hour, we would meet at His house. He had a big, old, off-white house. Some days, He had many visitors. Some other days (like Wednesdays), His house was a little more silent. We had a good relationship, but I was young, and I didn't think of Him as the Love of my life. My friends would also visit Him on Wednesdays, and truth be told, I preferred to catch up on the latest gossip rather than to engage in a conversation with Him. He was a quiet Man. He didn't seem to like to be the center of attention. Or at least, He didn't demand it. I couldn't understand why He had so many friends! When He finally caught my attention, I talked and He listened.

     After a few years, I slowly began to drift away. Not because I didn't love Him, but because I was too busy to continue to keep meeting with Him. We continued to be friends. I would call Him once in a while and at other times, in the most unexpected of places, I would meet with Him.

     This Man...He never stopped pursuing me. He sent me flowers every spring (He continues to do this!). When I called for help, He would be the first one there. He was by my side, trying to calm me, every time my anxiety sky-rocketed. He always listened when I called to tell Him I couldn't stop crying. This Man was also there during my successes...When I graduated college, when I became a Registered Nurse (I could feel Him smile from a distance as I celebrated with others). And, oh, how He loved my family! He even introduced me to my husband and He was there on our wedding day.



     Well, after so much talking, I decided to visit Him.

     Like any first date, I didn't know what to wear. I didn't know what to take. Should I read with Him? Will He think it is awkward if I start singing to Him? All I knew was that, this time, I didn't want to talk so much. I wanted to listen to anything He had to say. So, I got in my car and drove there. It was about a five minute drive. With sweaty palms, I entered His house (one of many houses He owns). Per usual, He had some visitors. Slowly and quietly, I went downstairs to where His visitors said He was. There was a guy talking to Him. However, as soon as I entered the room, the guy left. No! Please, don't leave me here alone. Now it was just me and Him in the room. Ah, the nerves! At the same time, I felt a sense of peace flowing through me. He was waiting for me, and only for me, and I knew it.

     I told Him about how I struggled with coming to visit Him…there. I told Him how I preferred to talk and pray to Him in the comfort of my home… or in the midst of His Sunday morning visitors. I told Him how I struggled to believe He was really there, like that, in that tiny piece of white bread – which represented His body given up for me. I shyly told Him that I was head-over-heels for Him, but I wanted to fall more and more in love.

     After that, I really didn't talk. He allowed me to sit and rest. He told me He chose me to sit at His table today, just like He chose the disheveled, homeless man who - ten minutes later - sat two seats behind me, and the girl with a fancy dress sitting at the back of the tiny room. He told me of the beauty of, us three visitors, being one in the Body of Christ. I was reminded – yet again – of His great love for me, poured out on the cross.

     After about an hour, I physically left the room. However, His presence is continuously within me. I can see and feel Him everywhere I go and in everyone I meet! He never leaves. He never stops pursuing. He never stops romancing me. He waits for me.

     I know He is quietly waiting for you, too.

----------

     Well, my experience going back to, what we Catholics call "Eucharistic Adoration", is something I wanted to share with you. I don't normally share "Catholic stuff" because I know many of you are not Catholic, and I totally respect that. However, I hope this provided you a glimpse into my faith. As I have said before, I struggle with some Catholic views and I am actively trying to grow more in my faith and - above all - in the relationship and love I have for our Savior. Encouraging you in your walk with Christ, regardless of your Christian denomination, is what my blog is all about. 

Happy Week!

Love,
   Gabby    

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you, Mrs. Laura! ;-) I hope you are having a great week!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post! I really enjoyed reading about your relationship with the Savior. God's presence is wonderful to have in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post Gabby...going to Eucharistic Adoration is what really drew me closer to my faith. I love a good date with Jesus ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that! I think (and hope) to learn so much more about our faith on those dates! ;-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!