Wednesday, May 14, 2014

She Plants

Well, since spring has officially made its appearance in Ice-Age Minnesota, I decided to take on a new hobby.

Gardening!

One nice perk about living in Minnesota is the nice weather condition to grow different herbs and vegetables. At my house in Mexico, my mom grows flowers only, as it is very difficult to garden with the very high temperatures in our area.

My mother-in-law, who also grows flowers, inspired me to try it out. She gave me a bag of soil, a heating mat for the seedlings, and even some seeds she had! I had no excuse not to try it.


This year, I am trying a few herbs and vegetables.

In my list are:

Hot Peppers (Mix)
Spinach
Parsley
Basil
Lettuce (Little Caesar)
Lettuce (Black Seeded Simpson)
Tomato (Sweetie)

I also created a simple "Garden Journal" to keep track of my little garden. It includes planting, approximate harvest, seedling, transplant, and harvest times.

I am learning so much about herb and vegetable gardening and can't wait for my babies to grow! Again, I am not a gardening genius (but I am so excited to learn), so we will see how this grows (goes).

Have you ever tried gardening?
Are you gardening this year?
Do you keep a gardening journal?
Any gardening advice?

She goes to inspect a field and buys it; with her earnings she plants a vineyard. Proverbs 31:16

Love,
Gabby




6 comments:

  1. What a great post and truly inspirational one!!! I was gardening back home, was growing flowers and lots of herbs and vegetables :)
    Here, I don't have a garden (my dream is to have one here as well)... At balcony trying to grow few flowers :) at the moment have three plants :)
    Have a great day ahead and keep gardening :)
    Much Love
    Liuba G
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for gardening! I wanted to try flowers, too, but I decided to try something different! ;-) I wish I had a balcony so I could grow flowers all over it, too! Thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  2. All the best in your gardening adventure! I hope you thoroughly enjoy it!

    My family and I are avid gardeners, we have a few large vegetable gardens, and I grow a flower garden every year. The hardest part is always weeding. But persistence always pays off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would just love to hang out and garden with your family! Sounds so much fun! :-) I've heard about those weeds. Haha. Thank you for your wishes and for your comment! :-)

      Delete
  3. Congrats for your effort! Have a nice time in gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with your new little garden! I'm hoping to try planting some herbs this summer, so that I can cook with them. My father-in-law has a huge garden and grows all kinds of vegetables. Each year, we are lucky enough to receive loads of potatoes, tomatoes and zucchini from him!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!