Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Prescription for True Contentment


I recently chatted with a friend and this is what I wrote: I think I am really learning to reach a contentment level I've never reached before. I am just so grateful and so in awe of how the Lord works things. I think I am becoming less of a worry-er.

Did I, a known anxious girl, just wholeheartedly say THAT?

I practically jumped out of my chair. YES! YES! I did!

The world tells us that to be content: We need to have this. We need to do that. Our situations need to change. If only I had a house...If only I had a baby...As soon as I am engaged I will be content...If I had a husband...If I get that super job, God, for sure, I'll be content...a lot of money would be nice.

The Bible tells us...ARE YOU READY TO HEAR THIS? 

Philippians 4: 6-8;11-13

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable - if anything is excellent or praiseworthy - think about such things.

...

...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.

I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

----------

Our source of contentment is Jesus Christ, whether we live 'in plenty or in want'. We can't reach true contentment by ourselves. We will always want something more.

Through Him, contentment is my every-day reality.

Love,
Gabby 

PS. This post is my 100th post! YAY! I am thinking of a very simple giveaway as a celebration and a thank-you from me to you. That is, when and if I figure out the rules/laws to host one (Did you know there are federal laws we need to abide by to host a giveaway... including giveaways on blogs? Crazy, right?) ;-)

8 comments:

  1. Great remainder! This is something that the lord has been teaching me lately as well. Thanks for sharing :)

    Ps. Congrats on your 100th post!! :)'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Megan! Your baby is so cute, btw! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your 100th post! I had no idea that there were rules involved... How wild!

    I absolutely loved this post! I went through the same thing this summer where I found complete contentment in my life like I had never felt before. Isn't it the best feeling in the world?!

    Hope you have a happy Wednesday!

    XX, SS || A Little Seersucker Sass

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I Know, it's crazy!! And yes. It's a peace and joy I can't explain!!

      Delete
  3. Amen! That's a very, very important lesson; thanks for sharing. Congrats on your 100th post! (And best wishes on figuring out the laws!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bethany! I was doing some research yesterday and I read a little bit, but then fell asleep! Haha.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. I needed that reminder today. thank you:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thank you for commenting. Sometimes I need a little reminder that Christ has already been faithful. I can fully lead a content life because of the comfort I find through Him and what He has already done!

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!