Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Sunshine Award


Many thanks to Bethany for nominating me for this award! Bethany blogs at Liberty or Death. I always enjoy visiting her blog. Go visit her now!

I've known about the Sunshine Award for some time now. It's main purpose is to recognize other bloggers, as well as share a bit more about themselves. I am pretty sure that the rules are to: use the logo above, acknowledge nominating blogger, share 10 random facts about yourself, answer 10 questions the nominating blogger asked, nominate other bloggers (not the one who nominated you), prepare 10 questions for your nominees.

I thought it was a fun thing to do, so here we go.

Random (or not so random) facts:

1. My legal name is 5 names long. For real. My license doesn't even say my entire name because it didn't fit.
2. My first name is after my dad and my grandfather (feminine form) and my middle name is after my mom. On that subject, there are a lot of Gabriel/a's in my family.
3. I am a citizen of Mexico and a permanent resident of the United States.
4. My favorite foods are chocolate doughnuts and Reeses. ;-)
5. When I was little, I told my parents I wanted to be an astronaut, a nun, or a doctor/nurse when I grew up. I had a long nun-phase at 10 years old. My sister and I even played "nuns" by placing pillow cases over our heads.
6. I have two crooked toes, inherited from my great-grandma according to my mom. ;-) It makes me laugh at the thought of it.
7. I don't remember "learning" English. People always ask me how my experience was, since my first language is Spanish.
8. While we are on the English language topic, I have an accent. Not a very strong one, though.
9. I was raised Catholic, went to a Pentecostal middle/jr high school, attended a very liberal public college for two years, and went to a non-denominational church while attending a Lutheran college for years 3 and 4 and had lovely, non-believing roommates (except for one year). Phew! I've had many friends and many different and interesting conversations. I am grateful that this exposure has made the culturally-competent person I need to be as a nurse.
10. I sleep with my legs in the shape of a number 4 and my right arm over my head.

Bethany's questions:

1. How did you become a Christian? I was born and raised in a Christian/Catholic family. I had "accepted" Jesus as my Savior when I was very young. However, I didn't grasp the essence of true Christianity until I was halfway through college. I think it wasn't until this time that I fully understood what Jesus had done for me on the cross and declared Him as my Savior.

2. What is your favorite Bible verse?  Oh goodness. I have many. One that I have lived by for many years is Jeremiah 29:11.

3. What is your favorite color? Blue! Can I have two? Purple! Many of my belongings are purple, and much of my clothing is blue! 

4. What are your favorite sports or other hobbies? As for sports, I don't play any on a regular basis, but two of my favorites (to watch) are football and soccer. As for hobbies, I love photography, reading and hiking!

5. If you won $10,000 what would you do with it? Hmm. Down payment for a house! Priorities of married life. ;-) If I could just do anything...definitely travel to a distant country and stay there for a long time. In reality, this would be difficult for me to do, because I am more of a saver than a spender. 

6. What are your favorite shows/movies? I don't watch shows that much, but I do have some movies I like. I love classic movies and many, many Disney movies I watched when I was younger. Matilda was a favorite one! My sister and I would always watch Madeline, as well!

7. What are some of your favorite books? Ooh. A Little Princess (F. Hodgson Burnett), Pride and Prejudice and Emma (J. Austen), every book by Paulo Coelho, Grace for the Good Girl (E. Freeman), and the list goes on...and on. A recent one that I read was The Wedding Dress by Rachel Hauck and it was really good!

8. What's your favorite animal and why? Due to an unfortunate event when I was younger (approximately 6 years old), I had never liked animals in general. However, that changed when my family had Rocco (Chihuahua) and Nena (Lab). They have both passed, but I really love dogs now and I am a lot more open about other animals as well!

9. What's your favorite season and why? Autumn. Living in Mexico/Texas my entire life, this season is/was like a breath of fresh air (literally). Spring quickly became hot, summer was even hotter, and winter was all sorts of seasons into one. When I came to Minnesota for the first time, I experienced a real fall season, and fell even more in love (with the season and my now husband)! ;-) Besides that, my birthday is during fall. I may be biased. 
  
10. What was one time you were in a very difficult situation and the Lord helped you? I have seen the Lord's hand in many, many situations that my family and I had to deal with. A more recent one was my move to Minnesota for obvious reasons. I was completely overwhelmed by this. Leaving everything and everyone "behind" was not easy. The Lord helped Greg and I with all the details and allowed me to see it in a different perspective. He has been so faithful! 

Here are my nominees:

Patty from A Modern Grace
Laura from String of Pearls (who is also author of Finding Grace)
Clare from Come Further Up
and anyone else who wants to share some blogging love!

I love reading your blogs, ladies! I love reading many blogs. However, some of these blogs have already been nominated and/or the blog's main focus is not one of sharing everyday life.

Questions:
1. Describe yourself in one word. Go!
2. If you could visit any country, free of charge, where would you go?
3. What is your favorite food?
4. What did you want to be when you "grew up" and why?
5. What is your favorite Bible verse?
6. If you could go back in time, what era would you like to visit and why?
7. What is your favorite childhood memory?
8. What are your favorite sports/hobbies?
9. What are your favorite shows/movies?
10. What is something you are looking forward to?

If you decide to do it, there is no rush, ladies. I know it's time consuming. *You can also answer the questions in a blog comment if you don't want to make an entire post about it.* Ladies who don't have a blog are also welcome!*

Thank you for reading and thank you, Bethany!

Love,
Gabby 

6 comments:

  1. Yes, yes, yes, a house! Oh my goodness, one of my biggest dreams. :) Why do they have to be so expensive??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is the same question I have! A decent house in a decent neighborhood is much more expensive than some of the nicest houses where I lived in Texas. ;-)

      Delete
  2. Enjoyed reading your answers...and your list of 10 random facts! Reeses are so delicious (no better combination than peanut butter and chocolate!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? No one here understands my love for Reeses. ;-) Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for nominating me Gabby...want to work on your set of questions this weekend/beginning of next week:)
    I also have a hard time choosing my favorite colors, I really do love them all...except brown ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rush. I love your blog! :-) I know, I love a lot of colors, too, but my wardrobe consists of a TON of blue. Maybe I should start shopping for spring colors. ;-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!