Tuesday, March 11, 2014

On fasting, Lent and Chick-fil-A.

Via Pinterest (broken link)
Picture this: Last Wednesday, Greg and I drove to a dentist appointment in a nearby city. When we were there, we noticed that this city had a Chick-fil-A. For some of you, this isn't a big deal. Well, in our hometown in Minnesota, I've only found one Chick-fil-A, and it's in the airport, past security (off-limits). In Texas, there is one every few blocks. We were very excited that we had found a Chick-fil-A. So excited that we sort-of forgot it was Ash Wednesday. For some Christian denominations, this means fasting from meat (or other foods) during Lent, Ash Wednesday and/or Fridays. So, yes, we were that couple ordering nuggets and a fish sandwich (lucky Greg) with big ol' ash crosses on our foreheads.

This event uncovered a topic that Greg and I had not talked about that much. To give you a little background, my husband's family has traditional and conservative Catholic beliefs. My family is a little more liberal/relaxed about Catholicism. Needless to say, we have varying opinions.

Why do you fast (specifically from meat)? Because the Catholic Church says so. Because it is a rule our church has. Because I grew up with that custom. I don't know, my parents do it, so I do it. Because the Bible says so. Ugh, it's Friday, I can't eat meat!

Umm...What?! This wasn't our specific conversation, but statements I've said and heard throughout my life.

So, Greg and I have begun to explore what the Bible says, what the church says, what we believe, and how we are going to incorporate those beliefs into our family.

Giving up sweets, meat, the internet or other worldly idols for Lent is not going sanctify me, bring me closer to God, or help me attain salvation, if our motive and drive isn't Jesus and what He did for me on the cross.

I am no theologian, but this is my prayer: May our fasting from meat (or other discipline) be one that points to Jesus. May fasting from meat represent denying our own sinful flesh. May our own itty-bitty sacrifices remind us of His suffering and huge sacrifice for us. May this season teach us so much more than we expect, in a different way than we expect, and may we wake up on Resurrection Sunday looking a little bit more like our Savior.

We have made a decision for our family. Sometimes, we may fail, sin, and may go to Chick-fil-A again. Despite this, we want our family to be on fire for Christ as we humbly obey Christianity/Catholicism out of our love for Him and because of that ultimate sacrifice.

We are still learning. It's a beautiful thing, and this is just the beginning.

----------

Please, let me know if you have any thoughts! I would love to know about your journey/beliefs. Have a great, great week!

Love,
Gabby  

4 comments:

  1. This is a great, heartfelt post...my husband and I had a little tiff because the first Friday of Lent he just "decided" he didn't care & wanted to eat meat...it eventually led to some good conversation for us too...wishing you and your hubby a holy Lent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you a holy Lent, too! We, too, had a good conversation! I think we stayed up till 2 AM that night! ;-)

      Delete
  2. I just loved this...thank you so much for posting! I am new to your blog, but definitely want to follow. Looking forward to what you'll post next.

    Blessings,
    Ashley B.

    Like No Other Fashion
    www.likenootherfashion.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Thank you for your comment and welcome to my little corner! You have officially made my day. ;-)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!