Monday, March 17, 2014

Melodies and Meditations on the Cross: Si Hubiera Estado Allí (If I had been there).

Si Hubiera Estado Allí by Jesús Adrian Romero

Si hubiera estado allí, entre la multitud,
Que tu muerte pidió, que te crucifico.
Lo tengo que admitir, hubiera yo también,
Clavado en esa cruz, tus manos mi Jesús.
Si hubiera estado allí.

If I had been there, in between the crowd,
That your death asked, that crucified you.
I have to admit, I would have too,
Nailed to that cross, your hands my Jesus.
If I had been there.

Pensándolo mas bien, también yo estaba allí,
Yo fui el que te escupió, y de ti se burlo.
Pensándolo mas bien, yo fui el que corono,
De espinas y dolor, tu frente buen Senor.
También yo estaba allí.

Thinking about it, I was also there,
I was the one who spit at you, and made fun of you.
Thinking about it, I was the one who crowned you,
With thorns and pain, your head good Lord.
I was also there.

Si hubiera estado allí, al pie de aquella cruz,
Oyéndote clamar, al Padre en soledad.
Lo tengo que admitir, te hubiera yo también,
Dejado así morir, mirándote sufrir.
Si hubiera estado allí.

If I had been there, at the foot of that cross,
Listening to you cry, in loneliness to the Father.
I have to admit, I would have too,
Left you dying, looking at you suffering.
If I had been there.

Pensándolo mas bien, también yo estaba allí,
Yo fui el que te escupió, y tu costado hirió.
Pensándolo mas bien, yo fui el que corono,
De espinas y dolor, tu frente buen Senor.

Thinking about it, I was also there,
I was the one who spit at you, and hurt your side.
Thinking about it, I was the one who crowned you,
With thorns and pain, your head good Lord.

Pensándolo mas bien, también yo estaba allí,
Yo fui el que te golpeo, y de ti se burlo.

Thinking about it, I was also there,
I was the one who pushed you, and made fun of you. 

Pensándolo mas bien, yo fui el que te azoto,
Yo fui el que lacero, tu espalda mi Senor.

Thinking about it, I was the one who hit you,
I was the one who lacerated, your back my Lord.

También yo estaba allí.
También yo estaba allí.
También yo estaba allí.

I was also there.
I was also there.
I was also there. 

And even then, Lord, You continue to love me. I have sinned against You over and over again, yet You sacrificed Yourself for me. When I think about that day, the day You were crucified, I often wonder what I would have done, where I would have been. Forgive me Savior. Teach me how to forgive. Let me see my sin when I crown and crucify my neighbor, my friend, my husband, my family, my church. Teach me to seek forgiveness and love others in and through you.

Sadly, the beauty of this song is lost in translation. I hope that you were able to grasp its beautiful meaning. When I see movies or read about the Crucifixion, my heart is hurt and in rage against the men who literally crucified Him. I often think I would be comforting Him, helping Him carry the cross, crying, yelling, pleading to let Him go, or maybe comforting Mary. However, I often find myself on "the other side" as I crucify Him every time I sin against Him or my neighbor.

Reflect upon it.

God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. - 2 Corinthians 5:21


Love,
Gabby

*I [unofficially] translated his song into the English language. Therefore, it may contain mistakes.*

1 comment:

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!