Thursday, February 6, 2014

A stroll in the park

Winter days in Texas: sunny, sunny, sunny, sunny, cloudy, sunny, sunny (with spring, summer, fall and winter in the same week, I might add).

Winter days in Minnesota: cloudy, cloudy, cloudy, cloudy, sunny, cloudy, cloudy.

This past Saturday was one of those sunny days! We had a beautiful, sunny but-very-cold day. Greg and I thought it was a good idea to go to a nearby park and just enjoy the day. To our surprise, there was a free event going on and there was a ton of people.

At the park, there was a concert, iceskating, ice sculptures, pony rides and food!







This was a funny one: Katniss Everdeeeeeeen!



And a weird one. I get it - it's just weird looking.



My favorite.







Of course, we couldn't leave without trying some food goodies like: cheese curds, mini doughnuts, and hot chocolate!








I stood there, as Greg was going to take me a picture. I noticed that he was taking several pictures very slowly. Then, I noticed why: There was a little boy right beside me, posing for the camera. He then held to my purse (I think he wanted more pictures). His dad then came and told him we were not taking pictures of him and told us he was used to posing for the camera. We had a good laugh!



There was a lot of children and adults iceskating. They charge you $2 (including skates) per person! 
Don't you just love those balconies?
So dreamy.


I hope you enjoyed the pictures! I love coming across events like these - full of life, fun and inexpensive! It's the little things.

I'll share on another post something really neat that happened to us on our way home (and a parade)! :-)

Wishing you a lovely week,
Gabby 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful sculptures! Do you know how they are made? I particularly liked the fish...looks like you guys had a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have mentioned that! Thank you for asking. ;-) it's a "competition". The people in it are given blocks of ice and (I think) they have two days to complete the sculpture out of a sketch or picture they have. It's all carved out! Awesome, right? I can't even imagine exactly how they accomplish it. ;-)

      Delete
    2. Wow! The intricacy and complexity of the designs is amazing! The artists must be pretty talented and persistent (my hands would freeze before accomplishing anything working with ice I'm afraid!).

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!