Thursday, December 12, 2013

Feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe!

Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe (Our Lady of Guadalupe) has held a special place in the hearts of people in Mexico and all over the world throughout generations.

In my town, she holds a place of honor (not worship). We have a Catholic church, downtown, bearing her name (place where Greg and I were married). One of the ways residents of my town, and all over Mexico, celebrate her feast day by having families and neighbors get together at a home for a celebration. I wish I could go into all the details that encompass this day! It would take me several posts to explain the symbolic significance.

I just love, love my Lady.

If you are interested, here is the story of her apparition:

Early morning, on December 9, 1531, a peasant, Juan Diego, saw on the slopes of Tepeyac Hill (now Mexico City) a vision of a girl, surrounded by light. Speaking to him in the local language (Nahuatl), she asked that a church be built at that site, in her honor. Juan Diego recognized this girl as the Virgin Mary. Juan Diego then told the Spanish Archbishop about the apparition. The Archbishop told him to go back to the hill and ask the Lady for a miraculous sign to prove her identity. The Blessed Mother told Juan Diego to gather roses and arrange them in his peasant tilma cloak. It was December and roses where not blooming at that time. However, Juan Diego found Castillian roses (flowers not native to Mexico) at the usually barren hilltop. On December 12, 1531, Diego went to the Archbishop and opened his cloak. The flowers fell to the floor, and in their place was the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, miraculously imprinted on the fabric. 

A year and a half ago, I had the opportunity to visit the place of her Marian apparition, in Mexico City. Here are some pictures I took of the Marian shrine. Enjoy!

The original tilma of Saint Juan Diego, whose feast day is December 9.
(The public is able to see a close-up the tilma via a small corridor that runs underneath the altar)




Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Thousands, upon thousands of people gather here on her feast day (today)!
This is where the tilma is located. However, it isn't the original place of where it was first located.


Within walking distance is Tepeyac Hill (original place)!

To get to the hilltop, we had to climb a lot of stairs. Some people climb these stairs on their knees as penance.
Here is the entrance.


Hill of Tepeyac!




One more thing, if you want to listen to the song that will be sung today, all over Mexico, here is the link of a version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lyrvn5PyARo. It's sung in Spanish and some Nahuatl. 

Whether this Lady holds a special place in your heart, or not, I hope you experience and feel the Love of our Savior Jesus Christ and our Blessed Mother today, every day!

"Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!" And Mary said: "My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindufl of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me - holy is his name." Luke 1: 45-49

Love,
Gabby

1 comment:

  1. how beautiful, cannot imagine what it must be like to see the image in person! I work at parish w a growing Hispanic population and today they are having a large Mass and party after for the feast day.
    My favorite are the words Our Lady says to Juan Diego, as if she was speaking to my heart also:)

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!