Friday, November 15, 2013

Our Honeymoon: Maui, Hawaii. (Part 2)

Day 3

The next morning, we were ready at 5:30 AM (in Maui, you have to get up really early to get the most of out of the day...we figured this one out quickly). We headed off to a town by the name of Hana, taking the historic "Hana Highway" or "Road to Hana". This highway is a 68 mile stretch, traveling about 3 hours non-stop (we stopped along the way - that is the fun part about traveling through the highway - which took about 6 hours),  59 bridges (46 of them are one lane only) dating back to the early 1900's, and...wait for it... approximately 620 curves! Talk about motion sickness.  



Below, Hawaii's motto: "The Life of the Land is Perpetuated in Righteousness."


Behind the pineapple stand, there was this road that led to two waterfalls, which you could only reach if you hiked it. Of course, I wasn't prepared and I had to hike in my Toms shoes and non-hiking outfit. Nevertheless, it was worth it. The place was like an enchanted forest.





A very nice couple took a picture of us.


One of the many bridges.



After visiting the falls, we stopped by "The Garden of Eden", a tropical garden along the Road to Hana.

Rainbow Eucalyptus.







Anyone recognize the pointy rock on the picture?
It's the Jurassic Park rock filmed at the arriving scene.


One of the locals who worked at the hotel, a man we became friends with, pointed out that I was wearing my hibiscus flower on the wrong side. Turns out, if you wear it on your right, you are single and available, and if you wear in on your left, you are married/in a relationship. Oops! :-)




Halfway down the road, we stopped at this famous stand, called...well, "Halfway to Hana". They make the most delicious banana bread. 



We arrived!



A local man from Hana, who displays his 6-year-old granddaughter's "art" on his stand, gave me this "fish"! 











Maui has a very large Catholic community (more than half the island people are Catholic). I was very surprised to find this out! However, there was a big difference I found between Catholic churches in the "mainland" and in Maui. Their church buildings are so, so simple. I understand why some churches are big, and the altars filled with gold and what-not, but I really loved the beauty and simplicity I found.



When you arrive to Hana, people advise you to return through the same road, since parts of the roads ahead are quite dangerous and some are not paved. Having the husband that I have, we just had to go through where they just advised us not to. Yeah. It wasn't that bad, though, and a few cars had the same plan! 



Then we pretended to live at this house.







You see a pretty sunset, you stop and take a picture.
Even if you don't quite get it.


Now, we can say, WE SURVIVED THE ROAD TO HANA (and the road back to civilization)!

Ah! It was such a long, beautiful, tiring day. That night, we went to bed around 8 PM! 

I'll continue posting about Day 4 and 5 (not so long as this one)....well, kind of. :-)

"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands." Psalm 19: 1-6

Happy weekend! What will you do? I'd love to know!
My sister will be visiting her fiance, here in MN, this weekend and I am so excited to see her! It's only been about 3 weeks since I last saw her, but we feel it's been way longer. It's a sister thing, I guess.

Love,
Gabby

2 comments:

  1. These are such gorgeous photos! So glad you shared with us! Guess this means I need to do the same!? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! You have to! ;-) Are you a married lady now? I hope everything is going well! Thank you for commenting.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!