Monday, September 2, 2013

365 days ago: Our Engagement Story


I'll tell you from the beginning.

We talked about marriage early on in our relationship. Somehow, we just knew.

On July 2nd, 2012, Greg secretly traveled to Mexico to meet up with my parents. I had no idea...and my parents had no idea he was going, either! The day Greg flew out, he called my brother and told him to pick him up at the airport at a certain time. My parents were quite surprised!

During the trip, Greg and my parents had the talk. He had gone to ask my parents for their permission to marry me (I still get butterflies in my stomach when I imagine this moment!). I don't know exactly what the conversation entailed, but I do know that it was very long, my momma cried, and that my parents were more than happy to give their consent. Later that night, my dad called and told me what had happened. Needless to say, I couldn't sleep that night!

Two months later, a year ago, Greg came to visit me in Texas. He and I went to visit a friend in a nearby town. That night, Greg managed to tell my sister he was proposing the next day and show her the ring.

I really didn't think anything of the visit. I secretly thought he was going to propose until my birthday in November, since my parents were planning a party (my parents never plan parties until the day before or the day of).

The next day, I told my sister and my friend, Andrea, that Greg and I were heading to Austin, TX, and then home. Thinking back at that moment, now I know why they were so giddy that morning. Greg and I spent the day visiting our favorite places in Austin and, of course, eating lunch at our favorite place (La Madeleine, anyone?)!

As the evening came, we headed home. We went to my apartment and met up with my sister. Greg and I planned on going to dinner at Texas Roadhouse and visit a near-by lake.

It was very late at night when we finally made it to the lake. He was leaving the next day, so I really wanted to go.

It was a cool, starry night and there was no one around. We layed on the hood of my car and stargazed. We even used an app that told us the constellations we were watching (yeah, we are kind of on the space geek side)!

No, he didn't propose there and then. He actually got very sick (don't tell him I told you), so we headed home. When we arrived, I suggested taking a walk around the apartment complex.

At one point during the walk, I was walking ahead of him and he mentioned/asked if I would marry him.

Not looking back, I jokingly said, "Yes, but quit asking me because when you officially ask me I won't believe you."

"Will you? Will you marry me, Gabriela?"

I turned to look at him and he was on one knee with a ring in his hands. My heart skipped a beat. That butterfly feeling took over my stomach and my mind.

"Are you serious? Are you kidding me? Are you serious? YES! Of course! I love you! Are you serious?"

After hundreds of more "Are you serious?" and "YES!", I hugged him and he placed a ring on my finger.

It was simple. It was random. It was outdoors. It was perfect.

----------

We were legally married on March 23, 2013, and are patiently waiting for October 26, 2013, to make a vow between us and our Savior to truly become one flesh.

54 days.

"We love because He first loved us." 1 John 4:19


In Christ, 
Gabby

5 comments:

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!