Thursday, June 6, 2013

Dear Girl I saw at McDonald's


Dear Girl I saw at McDonald's,

You may think no one saw you. But I did. I saw you. You had shoulder length, blonde hair, and you were wearing a plain white t-shirt, jeans, and black tennis shoes. You looked like you were in your early twenties..around my age. I am sorry I didn't take a closer look, it was just seconds that I saw you.

You were accompanied by your boyfriend or your husband, I suppose.

I observed that the guy who was with you took the drinks from the drive-thru cashier with force. Your boyfriend (or husband) then drove down a small distance away from the drive-thru window, but were still close to my car.

Then, it happened. I didn't pay attention to the cashier who was telling me how much I needed to pay for my food.

I saw as his arm went up. I saw when he clenched his hand to make a fist. I saw when he moved those two towards you. I saw as you tried to cover your face. The car you were in was forcibly moving from left to right. That's how much force he had. He attacked you multiple times.

Then, the door on your side of the car opened and I saw his arms and hands push you out of the car. You barely touched the asphalt and quickly got up. That is when I saw you.

And you returned back into to the car.

Your boyfriend (or husband) and you drove away in your white car, never to be seen again by me or the cashier, who saw everything.

But I saw you dear Girl and what happened to you made me physically sick.

You know, I grew up in a family where, I believe, physical abuse does not happen and it is not talked about. My dad and mom only told my siblings and I that we should not physically hurt each other or allow anyone else to hurt us "ni con el petalo de una rosa", which means, "not even with the petal of a rose". Most of my friends come from families like mine. I've seen the effects of physical abuse in other places outside of home, but I've never actually seen physical abuse. You were the first one.

And I didn't do anything. I was too shocked to call the police. Too shocked to take a picture or memorize the license plates.

I am sorry. I don't know your circumstances or what led up to him attacking you.

I hope you don't become uncomfortable by the next thing I am going to say, but I did ask God why did He allow this to happen to you (to any girl, really). I don't know if you are a believer, but I'd like to believe He was with you and He saw everything.

Don't you worry, I am not writing you this letter to give you advice. It is not my place. However, if I may, I will say one word:

Run.

I'd like to tell you about a Man who was crucified on a cross, died and rose again for the forgiveness of your sins (and your guy's sins). His name is Jesus. I'd like to tell you about His love for you. You are highly valuable in His eyes. Run into His arms. You will find healing, love, and your sense of worth in Him.

Staying in a place where an abuser is present makes you vulnerable to his attacks. No one deserves to physically, sexually, mentally, emotionally or spiritually abused. It is not your fault and it is never, ever okay. You are not alone. I hope you seek help and advice from those who know and love you, Girl. Because you do deserve love.

Praying for you, 
The Girl in the car behind yours at McDonald's.

"About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, 'Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?' - which means, 'My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" Matthew 27: 46
"...and surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28: 20

4 comments:

  1. Wow...That was powerful. I'll also be praying for that girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ms. Faith! It was a very shocking experience and I felt I needed to reach out and write about it!

      Delete
  2. Amen! What a grieving scene that must have been to witness, and what a wonderfully written letter you wrote to her. I so wish she could read it!
    Praying for her...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ana! Yes, I definitely can't get the scene out of my mind...I just needed to write about it, and my hope is that, maybe, someone who needs it stumbles upon it! Thank you for praying.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you! If you post anonymously, please leave your name in the comment. Thank you!